& Recycling info
County Health Department
County Sheriff's Office
of Nevada Cooperative Extension 4-H
County Code Enforcement
Washoe County Code Enforcement
Washoe County Code Enforcement provides sensitive,
courteous, and efficient services designed to ensure
quality of life for all residents and property owners.
These services protect the health, safety, and welfare of
Washoe County residents through the fair and impartial
enforcement of County codes. Enforcement emphasizes
voluntary compliance followed, when necessary, by proper
1. Which County Codes does Community
Development staff enforce?
2. What types of County Code violations does Community
Development staff enforce?
3. How do I report a potential violation of the County’s
land use or business license regulations?
4. How quickly will a Code Enforcement Officer respond to
5. How can I find out what action has been taken in
response to my complaint?
6. How do I know if the location of a potential Code
violation is within unincorporated Washoe County?
7. How long does it take to resolve a violation of the
County’s land use or business license regulations?
8. What is the punishment for violating the County’s land
use or business license regulations?
9. Why doesn’t the County just issue written criminal
citations for an offense, rather than allowing time for a
person to correct the violation?
10. I received a Notice of Violation/Order to Comply in
the mail from your offices, but I am renting the property
to tenants. Since they are occupying the residence, aren’t
they the ones responsible for correcting any violations?
11. Are there rules for storing vehicles on my residential
12. A vehicle has been abandoned on my property without my
consent. Can you tow it away?
13. An inoperable vehicle has been abandoned on a street
near my house. Can you remove it?
14. Can I store building material on my residential
15. I want to move a new mobile/manufactured home on my
property. Can my current mobile/manufactured home remain
on the property after the new home is installed?
16. I am building my home and would like to reside on my
property during construction. Is this allowed?
17. I would like my guests to stay on my property in an
RV. Is this allowed?
18. I would like to place a storage container on my
property, is this allowed?
19. Are there rules for placing accessory structures such
as sheds or playhouses on my property? How about rules for
setbacks from my property line for these types of
20. My neighbor is conducting activities that are
prohibited by our neighborhood CCRs. Can you help me?
21. When do I need a Washoe County business license?
22. What is considered as “conducting a business?”
23. Are there businesses that don’t require a business
24. Can I operate a business from my home?
25. I did not see my question, now what?
Please contact the Code Enforcement hotline, Monday
through Friday, 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time
at 328-6106. They will be happy to help you.
The questions above are
addressed in this 9 page pdf document ... WashoeCoCodeEnforcement_10_07.pdf